Sunday, October 5, 2008
Rwanda is an amazing country! Many of you have heard of Rwanda because of the genocide that happend in the mid 90s. However, the country is well on its way to healing and there is a lot of economic progress happening there. As a whole, the country is about the size of New Hampshire. There are over 9 million people that live there and an estimated 1 - 1.5 million orphans. Of those 1.5 million, we hope to bring one or two of them to live here with our family. :)
Interesting Rwanda facts:
- Population: 9 million (300 people per sq. kilometre)
- Religion: Christian
- Language: French, English and Kinyarwanda
- Seasons: Wet (mid March-mid May and mid Oct.- mid Dec.) dry, (mid May- mid Oct. and mid Dec. - mid March)
- Tourist attractions: volcanos and gorrilas (many people come to Rwanda to go gorilla tracking)
- Movies Made: Hotel Rwanda and Gorillas in the Mist are both movies about Rwanda and good flicks!
- Genocide: In 1994 an estimated 800,000 people were killed in only three months, mostly by milita. The fighting was the result of violence between extremist members of the Huto and Tutsi tribes. Many people fled the country and were displaced. Today the country is rebuilding and there are no more Huto or Tutsi members... only Rwandans and the governement is working hard to bring stability and prosperity to the country.